Best and Cheap MediaWiki 1.25.3 Hosting
What is MediaWiki?
MediaWiki is free server-based software which is licensed under the GNU General Public License (GPL). It’s designed to be run on a large server farm for a website that gets millions of hits per day.
MediaWiki is an extremely powerful, scalable software and a feature-rich wiki implementation that uses PHP to process and display data stored in a database, such as MySQL.
Pages use MediaWiki’s wikitext format, so that users without knowledge of XHTML or CSS can edit them easily.
When a user submits an edit to a page, MediaWiki writes it to the database, but without deleting the previous versions of the page, thus allowing easy reverts in case of vandalism or spamming. MediaWiki can manage image and multimedia files, too, which are stored in the filesystem. For large wikis with lots of users, MediaWiki supports caching and can be easily coupled with Squid proxy server software.
What is New in MediaWiki 1.25.3?
The latest version of MediaWiki is 1.25.3. This is a security and maintenance release of the MediaWiki 1.25 branch.
- SECURITY: Compare API watchlist token in constant time
- SECURITY: Escape error message strings in thumb.php
- SECURITY: Don’t leak autoblocked IP addresses on Special:DeletedContributions
- Fix InstantCommons parameters to handle the new HTTPS-only policy of Wikimedia Commons.
- Setting a configuration setting for skin or extension to false in LocalSettings.php was not working.
- API action=opensearch json output no longer breaks when $wgDebugToolbar is enabled.
- Using an extension.json or skin.json file which has a “manifest_version” property for 1.26 compatability will no longer trigger warnings.
- Running updateSearchIndex.php will not throw an error as page_restrictions has been added to the locked table list.
- Special:Version would throw notices if using SVN due to an incorrectly named variable. Add an additional check that an index is defined.ned.
In terms of features, Wikimedia offers the “historical” features of wikis:
- Page creation
- Page modification: it simply consists of adding/modifying or deleting content
- Creation of links between information
- Discussion: the creation of a page can generate exchanges between all contributors
- Versioning: it is possible to follow the modifications made on a wiki page (What was modified? By whom? When?)
- Rollback: it is always possible to rollback and choose the previous version of the wiki page
- Rights management: each registered user on a wiki has rights that allow him to create, modify, consult or delete wiki pages
MediaWiki supports multilingual management, various extensions and media formats, providing also options to configure the wiki appearance.
How to Choose Best and Cheap MediaWiki 1.25.3 Hosting?
We recommend ASPHostPortal.com for MediaWiki 1.25.3 hosting. ASPHostPortal.com is highly rated by our users and we think they provide great value for money, with plans starting at only $2.50 per month.
ASPHostPortal.com Data Center
ASPHostPortal modular Tier-3 data center was specifically designed to be a world-class web hosting facility totally dedicated to uncompromised performance and security. They now operate different world class data centers, US (Washington & Seattle), Netherlands (Amsterdam), Singapore, Hong Kong, United Kingdom (London), Australia (Melbourne), France (Paris), Germany (Frankfurt), Canada (Toronto), Italy (Milan), India (Chennai), Brazil (São Paolo). They provide hosting service globally.
You can be rest assured that your websites or dedicated servers are secured, managed and monitored in a state-of-the-art facility, and as a customer you have access to their engineers and the most reliable support team.