WordPress 5.4.2 Security and Maintenance Release
This security and maintenance release features 22 fixes and enhancements. Plus, it adds a number of security fixes.
These bugs affect WordPress versions 5.4.1 and earlier; version 5.4.2 fixes them, so you’ll want to upgrade.
If you haven’t yet updated to 5.4, there are also updated versions of 5.3 and earlier that fix the bugs for you.
WordPress versions 5.4 and earlier are affected by the following bugs, which are fixed in version 5.4.2. If you haven’t yet updated to 5.4, there are also updated versions of 5.3 and earlier that fix the security issues.
- Props to Ben Bidner of the WordPress Security Team for finding an open redirect issue in wp_validate_redirect().
- Props to Nrimo Ing Pandum for finding an authenticated XSS issue via theme uploads.
- Props to Simon Scannell of RIPS Technologies for finding an issue where set-screen-option can be misused by plugins leading to privilege escalation.
- Props to Carolina Nymark for discovering an issue where comments from password-protected posts and pages could be displayed under certain conditions.
Thank you to all of the reporters for privately disclosing the vulnerabilities. This gave the security team time to fix the vulnerabilities before WordPress sites could be attacked.
Welcome to WordPress 5.4
Every major release adds more to the block editor.
More ways to make posts and pages come alive with your best images. More ways to bring your visitors in, and keep them engaged, with the richness of embedded media from the web’s top services.
More ways to make your vision real, and put blocks in the perfect place—even if a particular kind of block is new to you. More efficient processes.
And more speed everywhere, so as you build sections or galleries, or just type in a line of prose, you can feel how much faster your work flows.
Two new blocks. And better blocks overall.
- Two brand-new blocks: Social Icons and Buttons make adding interactive features fast and easy.
- New ways with color: Gradients in the Buttons and Cover block, toolbar access to color options in Rich Text blocks, and for the first time, color options in the Group and Columns blocks.
- Guess a whole lot less! Version 5.4 streamlines the whole process for placing and replacing multimedia in every block. Now it works the same way in almost every block!
- And if you’ve ever thought your image in the Media+Text block should link to something else—perhaps a picture of a brochure should download that brochure as a document? Well, now it can.
Cleaner UI, clearer navigation—and easier tabbing!
- Clearer block navigation with block breadcrumbs. And easier selection once you get there.
- For when you need to navigate with the keyboard, better tabbing and focus. Plus, you can tab over to the sidebar of nearly any block.
- Speed! 14% faster loading of the editor, 51% faster time-to-type!
- Tips are gone. In their place, a Welcome Guide window you can bring up when you need it—and only when you need it—again and again.
- Know at a glance whether you’re in a block’s Edit or Navigation mode. Or, if you have restricted vision, your screen reader will tell you which mode you’re in.
Of course, if you want to work with the very latest tools and features, install the Gutenberg plugin. You’ll get to be the first to use new and exciting features in the block editor before anyone else has seen them!
Your fundamental right: privacy
5.4 helps with a variety of privacy issues around the world. So when users and stakeholders ask about regulatory compliance, or how your team handles user data, the answers should be a lot easier to get right.
Take a look:
- Now personal data exports include users session information and users location data from the community events widget. Plus, a table of contents!
- See progress as you process export and erasure requests through the privacy tools.
- Plus, little enhancements throughout give the privacy tools a little cleaner look. Your eyes will thank you!
Best and Cheap WordPress 5.4.2 Hosting
The hosting provider that we mean is ASPHostPortal. Who and why ASPHostPortal? ASPHostPortal is one of the best web hosting in the world. Founded in 2008, this company managed by a strong team of web hosting experts. Here are several reasons why you can choose them as your WordPress hosting partner. To make it clear, we have worked out a comprehensive review of the feature, performance, customer service and pricing of this service.
Respected By The WordPress Community
ASPHostPortal is well-respected in the WordPress community, especially for their quick, helpful support. All hosting companies have good and bad customer experiences on the web review, but if you look at ASPHostPortal’s review mentions the majority of feedback is positive.
From HostingAdvice (https://hostadvice.com/hosting-company/asphostportal-com-reviews/)
From WHTOP (https://www.whtop.com/review/asphostportal.com)
From Trustpilot (https://www.trustpilot.com/review/asphostportal.com)
Engineered For Speed
ASPHostPortal shared hosting ($3.81/month) is good. The speed depends on which plan you choose but each one comes with top-notch hardware, CDN, SuperCacher, and software for it’s a tier. ASPHostPortal also makes constant updates to improve speed – allowing customer sites to load even faster. This is our test result from GTMetrix, the loaded time is 0.7 second only.
Best Support In The Industry
With ASPHostPortal’s support system we have always been able to reach someone within minutes whether it be through 24/7 ticket. That’s because ASPHostPortal is a people-focused company who won’t make you wait around listening to bad elevator music. Their team is so helpful and will honestly bend over backward to make sure your issues are resolved. And they won’t tell you “it’s not a hosting-related problem” like other hosting companies.
Not only will your site be protected through auto-updates, daily backups, and server protection, but ASPHostPortal also releases their own patches when there’s a widespread security vulnerability (with WordPress, or even a specific WordPress plugin). They’re both proactive AND reactive which is good because WordPress sites have become prime targets.
ASPHostPortal WordPress Hosting Plans
Whether you’re on a $3.81/month budget or you need a $12.99/month dedicated server, there’s a plan for everyone. I mentioned this already but I use their plan and my WordPress site loads in under 1 second.
Conclusion – ASPHostPortal Is Awesome For WordPress Hosting
Between their hosting and tech support, ASPHostPortal is a clear winner. I don’t write many articles on the other hosting companies because ASPHostPortal is in my opinion, the best. I do WordPress SEO and speed optimization for a living so I’ve been through a lot of hosts – and I’m just glad I found one who I can stick with and keep my website blazing fast.