What is SiteGround?
Website Speed and Performance
SiteGround has always been one of the better web hosts for website speed and performance. With their continual technology innovations including their SiteGround Optimizer, they continue to post impressive results. Website page loading times rank just below the top performers we’ve tested.
We’ve tested over 40 web hosts since Bitcatcha was formed, and SiteGround has consistently impressed us in terms of speed and value. It’s pretty awesome that they’ve risen to compete with industry giants, considering the company was founded by a few friends working out of their university dorm rooms in Bulgaria during 2004.
Today, SiteGround has data centers in 6 countries, services more than 2,800,000 domains worldwide and has over 500 (and growing) people under their employment.
They have amassed many accolades and various sites have sung praises about them, but I would say that their biggest recognition of achievement to date is to be affiliated and endorsed by WordPress. In their WordPress’s own words, SiteGround is “one of the biggest and brightest of the hosting world”.
But web hosting isn’t the only thing the founders of SiteGround are passionate about.
The people on top believe that happy employees lead to happy customers (I can attest to that – they’ve got excellent people handling their live chat), so they’re continuously striving to keep the workplace happy, and it shows – people love working for them, as evidenced by their rave reviews on Glassdoor.
It’s a company that’s equally passionate about their staff, products and customers!
What about the data? What’s the uptime like? How do they compare against the competition?!
SiteGround guarantees customers that they have a 99.9% uptime; the reason for this guarantee is the hosting architecture, the support team, and an almost immediate backup when needed.
The platform is built on LXC (Linux containers) technology because it is very efficient and offers unlimited flexibility.
Secondly, they have a pro-active server monitoring DevOps team that is in-house and helps detect issues and fixes them within the shortest time possible. It can also foresee potential problems in the future and take adequate action to prevent their occurrence.
In the worst case scenario when data recovery is needed, SiteGround offers the fastest data recovery. SiteGround launched their backup system in 2015 which ensures customers reduced restoration time. All these features have further helped towards making SiteGround customers get 99.9% uptime for their websites.
With increased website security vulnerabilities, it’s important to know what measures your host has put in place to secure your site. SiteGround is the pioneer of secure account isolation technology.
Since 2008, SiteGround developed CHROOT account isolation on shared servers. Today, they are still leading in web hosting security. They developed this innovation while no one in the industry thought that would be possible.
There are additional security features that include; add-on HackAlert monitoring that lets website owners know of any attack on their site. It is a premium add-on for only $1 per month but very helpful.
There is also a free SSL for the high-cost host plans and leech protect feature that prevents administrators from leaking their passwords.
SiteGround Comparison with Other Leading Web Hosts
The best choice when looking for a reliable web hosting provider may depend on your budget, the size of the project and technical experience.
It may be helpful to compare and contrast SiteGround hosting with other leaders in the industry. Here is a comparison with other hosting providers based on some factors.
SiteGround vs. GoDaddy Hosting
Godaddy is the industry leader in domain registration, but the web hosting service they offer does not match up with SiteGround.
- Customer Support – In comparison with the SiteGround hosting, Godaddy is deficient of good customer support and hosting technology.
- Pricing – Certainly Godaddy offers lower prices than SiteGround
- WordPress Hosting – GoDaddy does not provide better WordPress hosting compared to SiteGround
- Uptime – Both companies guarantees 99.9% uptime.
SiteGround vs. ASPHostPortal
ASPHostPortal is another relatively popular hosting company that is independent and offers competitive hosting plans.
- Customer Support – The client’s support as compared to SiteGround is at par and has been rated highly by customers. Both have great support features.
- Pricing– Certainly ASPHostPortal offers lower prices than SiteGround.
- WordPress Hosting – The result is very competitive, we can barely tell the difference between the two.
- Uptime – Both hosts guarantee their customers 99.9% uptime but ASPHostPortal reserves it to the business hosting plan and higher.
SiteGround vs. Bluehost
Bluehost is a brand of Endurance International and offers exceptional hosting services that have earned it a place in WordPress recommended hosts list. Here is the comparison between Bluehost and SiteGround:
- Customer Support – Both companies have instant responses to customer support chats and tickets and they have similar features to help customers. SiteGround stands out because they help with quick and free website transfers for new clients. For Bluehost, a request is necessary, and it’s not clear how flexible they are to help with migrations.
- Pricing – Bluehost has lower prices unlike SiteGround which offer a monthly billing cycle that makes it ideal for beginners.
- WordPress Hosting – Both hosts are recommended by WordPress.org as the best WordPress hosts, but SiteGround has advanced hosting technology installed on their servers.
- Uptime – Both companies guarantee customers of 99.9% uptime, but SiteGround outperforms Bluehost as far as uptime is the concerned.
SiteGround vs. HostGator
HostGator is another Endurance International brand that offers relatively good hosting. HostGator does not perform better than the sister host – Bluehost. Here is how HostGator is when compared with SiteGround hosting:
- Customer Support – HostGator has the worst customer support among the leading hosting companies. Previously, they had an excellent customer care record but upon acquisition by the Endurance International, the customer care became worse.
- Pricing – HostGator has good prices that allow beginners to get started quickly. The prices of HostGator are very affordable and offer flexibility and the monthly billing cycle that is ideal for beginners.
- WordPress Hosting – HostGator has WordPress hosting features on cPanel but lack the advanced WordPress hosting features seen on SiteGround.
- Uptime – HostGator has crowded servers and constrained resources since they offer the cheapest shared hosting plan. HostGator does not guarantee 99.9% uptime, and there have been noticeable outages.
Pros and Cons of SiteGround
- Excellent WordPress hosting features that include a one-click installer, Git Integration, WordPress Staging, WP-CLI, SuperCacher, and Automatic updates.
- All SiteGround hosting plans currently offer a free domain and also a 30-day money back guarantee for a new sign up.
- High–performance and secure hosting technology that includes; SSDs Memory, Content Delivery Network – CloudFlare and the latest version of PHP7 and Nginx server.
- Knowledgeable and friendly customer representatives are willing to help with quick migration of existing site to the new hosting. The support system is also helpful as they provide a knowledge base, webinars, ticketing system and live chat that has a quick response.
- 99% uptime guarantee with a fast data recovery option gives the customer the much-needed peace of mind.
- Competitive pricing that helps customers get the best value for money.
- Distributed servers located in different locations in the US, Europe, and Asia that contribute to optimizing the loading speed and general performance.
- The UX of the cPanel is very basic, and a redesign is necessary for better navigation and visual appeal
- The shortest billing cycle is of 12 months.
- Google Adwords credits that are available on other hosts like HostGator are not in SiteGround.
- The pricing point is relatively high compared to other hosting companies, but there is value in the overall product.
- There is limited storage as compared to other hosts for the same price or lower.
- For e-commerce hosting both Magento and OpenCart plans are just the basic hosting plans and have no additional features like the WordPress hosting. The PCI compliance issues together with the free SSL certificate are not available for the cheaper hosting plans.
- Finally, this hosting is not suitable for someone with multiple sites and a small budget since the most affordable hosting plan allows only one domain with a maximum of 10,000 visitors monthly.
SiteGround is the best example of a stellar web hosting service that outmatches nearly all other hosts in the industry. The competitive pricing offers the best value for money since other cheaper hosting will not provide features found on SiteGround.
For WordPress hosting, the SuperCacher among other WordPress specific features guarantee a fast page speed. Although there are a few limitations of SiteGround hosting, overall it is a highly recommendable service.